When There’s A Fire, Personal Safety Takes Priority Over Property
When purchasing homeowners insurance, Sarasota Florida residents are naturally keen to find coverage that protects their assets at the most reasonable cost. When a fire breaks out, don’t waste time in trying to rescue property; at a time like this, your personal safety must be your top priority.
Here are some tips that you might be glad you followed if you ever need to escape from a fire.
- Have a fire emergency plan, and practice it regularly with fire drills.
- Install smoke detectors and replace them when they are ten years old.
- Test your smoke detectors each month, and replace smoke detector batteries every six months (or sooner if the charge is running low).
- Remember the “stop, drop and roll” slogan to put out flames if clothing catches fire.
- Leave the building as quickly as you can if smoke or fire alarms sound.
- Get out of a burning building first, and call for help once you’re safe.
Concentrate on keeping calm and escaping the fire safely. When the fire has been put out and firefighters tell you it’s safe to return home, you will have a chance to assess the extent of property damage and report your loss to the company that provides your homeowners insurance Sarasota Florida. Until then, personal safety is your first consideration.